Pages

27.8.15

TREATING ACNE | DURING + AFTER


Acne is a horrible skin condition to deal with and it affects more people than you would think. I have dealt with it since I was about 16 years old and it was just the beginning of an absolute nightmare...

I personally don't have the answers to curing the problem but I do believe it's down to the water we drink, the air we breathe, the environments toxins, as well as our personal diets and of course I can't forget the hormonal imbalances a lot of men and women have nowadays and so all these things can factor into and contribute to the causes of acne. 


I absolutely hated acne in my teens and I really struggled to not squeeze the little buggers on my chin all of the time and today I deal with the scarring left behind from those struggles. I have lots of little pigmentation marks and my skin is slightly thinner in certain areas as well. 

As a lot of teenage acne sufferers do, I hoped and prayed that it wouldn't continue into adulthood but alas, it just didn't happen and here I am today, almost 26 years old and still dealing with spots and hyper-pigmentation.

The funny thing is that it doesn't annoy me nearly as much as it used too. I think it's because I'm older and I feel much happier in myself than I did when I was a teen. Don't get me wrong, I still get huge spots and have little melt downs every now and then but not because I've got a new spot but more so for the hyper-pigmentation and the fear of thinning skin afterwards. I guess you could say it's the aftermath that I worry about and not so much the battle.


Today I wanted to share a few products and tools that have really helped me over the past few years, some just months but have made a noticeable difference to how spots form and leave my skin. Whilst I want to help you as much as possible, please remember that I am not a dermatologist and you should always decide for yourself what's best for you and your skin.

TREATMENTS



LA ROCHE POSAY EFFACLAR DUO 
The Emergency Treatment 

I've been using this just a few weeks now and I absolutely adore this product. I was going to wait until I had ran out of my little samples and purchased the large size before writing this post but it's just a picture and I think that I'd be crazy too. 
A few weeks ago I had two extremely painful cystic spots on either side of my smile lines and I cried with the pain. Once I had remembered I'd been sent a few tubes of this stuff I got to using it and I'm not kidding you, after just 4 nights of applying a pea sized application to each, they were almost gone! Just last night I had a huge one pop up on my jawline and today the pain is almost gone and it's reduced by half its size, it's just incredible! I highly recommend this product not only for its efficiency but also because its paraben free and is great as an emergency fix-up treatment. I can't believe I put off trying this stuff for so many years, I'm so glad I've found something as wonderful as this product. Pick some up here!

EPIDUO GEL
The Last Resource Prescriptive

I was at a desperate point in my life about 2 years ago when I had one of the worst breakouts ever and I headed straight to my doctor, who just happened to be a dermatologist for a few years too. They recommended Epiduo which is a combination of 2.5% benzoyl peroxide and 0.1% adapalene in a gel form which you can apply directly to the affected areas. I'm not going to lie, this stuff was an absolute miracle worker for me and my skin cleared quite quickly. However, with my passion for natural and organic products I keep this as my last resource and only use it when all else fails. It's very strong and you need to be careful where you apply it. If this is something you haven't tried and are interested in then make an appointment with your doctor as soon as you can, but be sure to read the instructions and side effects. All I'm saying it just be careful with these things and make sure you lather on a nourishing moisturiser to keep skin from getting dry and dull and use an SPF! 

SEBAMED CLEAR FACE CARE GEL
The Gentle PH Balanced Fighter

Though not pictured above, this product is absolutely amazing and is something that I think would work with a lot of different skin types. As someone with dry skin, I find it so difficult to find a product that will treat my acne and keep my skin hydrated at the same time. A lot of brands assume that if you have acne, you have oily skin, which completely isn't the case. I apply a giant blob twice a day all over my face like a primer before my moisturiser and after having cleansed and I let it do its work. It's paraben free and doesn't contain any oils or emulsifiers and matches the natural PH balance found on your facial skin. It contains beautiful ingredients such as Aloe Vera (my personal favourite) and Hyuralonic acid to keep skin soft and smooth whilst treating those bad boys. It works and it's super affordable. Get it here!

LUXSIT ANTI BLEMISH GEL
The Organic Alternative

I actually won this in a competition a few months ago and it's absolutely wonderful. It's organic, which means its paraben free, cruelty free and contains natural herbs and salicylic acid to combat spots. It too has hydrating properties due to the amino acids found in the gel and so I absolutely love it. After having gotten rid of the pain of my spots using La Roche Posay I switched to this to finish clearing them up and it was so gentle and so effective. However, I have learnt that this stuff can handle cystic spots on their own and I had no side effects whatsoever. Epiduo tends to cause redness and itching but Luxsit, Sebamed and La Roche Posay don't. I really like this stuff and although it's not so much on the affordable side, it's totally worth it. Get it here!

MAGNITONE VIBRA SONIC CLEANSER
The Best Damn Device Ever

I've been using my Magnitone for just over 5 months now and the difference it has made to make-up removal, treating redness, pimples and spots is just amazing and is something I wish I had to use in my teens or at least sooner. I use this twice a day when my skin is bad and it's so gentle but keeps my acne to a minimum and I just won't be without it now. Though I do take plenty of breaks from it to allow my skin to do what it needs too. It's something that fights acne in the most gentle, yet effective way and I constantly reach for it when a muslin cloth isn't just quite cutting it. You can read more about my experience with my Magnitone here but honestly, it has changed my skin for the better. It's not cheap but it's not overly expensive either, considering what other competitive companies are asking for. Pick one up here!

AFTERCARE


SWEET ALMOND OIL
The Lightweight, Hydrating Genius

Sweet Almond oil is one of those little joys you randomly come across in life and after much research I stopped using anything else but it to not only remove my make-up but also to heal my acne scarring. Almond oil is packed with natural Vitamin E and so many other amazing vitamins that help with a variety of skin problems, including acne scarring. I've seen a real difference with the texture of my skin, as well as the pigmentation marks left over from old spots. It really helps to repair the damage done to your skin and really takes away that purplish, blood-red colour, which for me is the worst part. It can take months at a time for those pesky little marks to fade but Almond oil definitely speeds things up, as it certainly has done for me and perhaps it can for you too. Try spending a few extra pennies on getting a cold pressed version so that your skin can get the best of what Almond oil naturally has to offer. Its lightweight formula means a variety of skin types can use it and I absolutely love it. If you'd like to know more ways of using Sweet Almond oil then read my post all about it here. You can also pick some up from here!

HOLOS ANTI-AGEING FACIAL OIL
The Irish Elixir of Life

Organic, vegan and cruelty-free, Holos anti-ageing oil made its way into my life a few month's ago and I think it's what has sped up the healing process of old acne scars at the back of my cheekbones and temples. I noticed quite the difference after just one months use and it's absolutely wonderful. Packed with gorgeous ingredients such as Argan oil, Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and C, your skin will love this stuff. It smells absolutely divine and absorbs into skin really well due to its surprisingly lightweight texture. A few drops of this either directly onto skin or in with your regular moisturiser a few times a week and your skin should improve. Not only is it gluten and paraben free but it also doesn't contain any alcohol, SLS or any other nasties. The nourishment my skin gets from this is fantastic and that's why it's perfect for use after acne spots have gone down. This beautiful, Irish elixir reduces inflammation, hydrates and will put the glow back into dull, after acne skin. I won't be without it now, think of it as the organic alternative to Bio-oil. Get it here!

ALOE VERA GEL
Natures Answer To Healing 

Hyper-pigmentation, bruising, dryness and inflammation can all stem from acne and that's why I always carry a tube of this around with me everywhere I go. I can't stress enough how important it is to take care of your skin once acne is in its final stages. Aloe Vera gel can reduce any bruising, redness, pain and size of breakout in a short space of time. It can help repair broken blood vessels with its natural anti-inflammatory properties and anti-oxidants and keep the glow in your skin. I tend to use this before bed most nights and the difference I see in the morning is incredible. It really keeps my skin soft and subtle and those bruises go from purple to yellow in the space of a few days. I recently wrote a post about all the different ways to use Aloe Vera which you can read here if you're interested but if I don't convince you of trying anything else in today's post then let it be just this one thing because it's truly wonderful and it's my secret weapon for acne after care. I've used it for years now and I highly recommend it. Pick up a tube here

I know this was a long post and I don't apologise for it, I want to share as much as I can to help as many as I can because I understand the desperation for clear skin. But let me say one more thing before you go, having acne is a terrible thing but it's not the end and if you have scarring, blackheads, enlarge pores amongst other things, that's ok, that's normal, you are a normal human being dealing with normal human being things and you are fine as you are. It sounds so cliché and ridiculous when someone else tells you things like that but now older, I understand exactly what they meant and why I was told the same thing. You are not meant to be perfect, flawless or anything else anyone tells you, other than what you know you are and your skin is part of you and though it may be giving you trouble, you will learn to deal with it better as time goes on and things can and will improve. You just have to find what works for you, talk to someone, do some research and see what you can do to make life with acne more bearable.

Of course I don't use all of these things at once and I do lather on a lot of moisturiser to compensate for any added dryness caused by any of the acne treatments mentioned. However, my after care essentials do usually keep my skin quite soft and healthy and keep my skin from getting dull and peeling, which keeps my stress levels down throughout breakouts. Take good care of your skin and make sure you give you give it a break from all cleansing and treatments at least once a week to let it breathe and do what it needs too. 

I really hope you enjoyed today's post and found it useful, it was a lengthy one but as I said I just want to share as much knowledge as I can and lend an ear if you need it. Let me know in the comments below if you've tried any of these products and what you've discovered that could potentially help others deal with their acne. Find me on Twitter and Instagram if you need me and have a wonderful day! x 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Blog Archive

Follow by Email

Copyright @ LankyLaurasWay. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign